An investigation of the failed (or successful) attempt of a Multinational Enterprise to operate successfully in another country
Your report should address the following issue:
“Lessons learnt: An investigation of the failed (or successful) attempt of a Multinational Enterprise to
operate successfully in another country”
This is your opportunity to develop research and report writing skills, and to apply to a real scenario
some of the concepts and theories discussed in the lectures and tutorials. You can select a
multinational company of your choice or write a report on one of the options below.
Structure of Report: Your report needs to include the following:
1) Your report needs to include the following:
2) Executive summary of your findings (5%).
3) An introduction to your report that gives an overview of the firms (or firms if it is a merger
and acquisition (M&A)) you are focusing on. You should also briefly discuss the country (or
countries) involved (15%).
4) An analysis of the relevant factors that led to the choice to operate in the country, e.g., risk
assessment; market analysis, etc. (10%).
5) What was the entry strategy of the firm (10%)? (benefits and drawbacks)
6) What were the factors that led to the failure/success of the enterprise? How accurate or
inaccurate was the entry strategy; risk assessment; market analysis? Did the market change
or level of risk change? How did it change? What HR, leadership and management issues,
cultural issues (country and firm), etc. did the company face and to what extent were they
overcome? Discus the exit strategy if there was one (40%). TWO or THREE THEMES , e.g.,
change in environment, inappropriate strategy, internal management issues, ethical issues
7) Recommendations of what you would have done differently (20%)