analyse the reasons leading to the gap between customer expectations and customer perceptions in the service delivery of any organisation
Assessment #1 – Descriptive Essay
The service in the mind of stakeholders of an organisation such as management, staff and employees can divert from the service as delivered and experienced by the customers leading to a gap between customer expectations and their perceptions. Customer expectations are what a customer believes should happen and customer perceptions are the subjective assessments of what the customer actually experiences.
Discuss in a 1500-word essay, the service gap model presented by Gemmel et al (2013, p.40) and analyse the reasons leading to the gap between customer expectations and customer perceptions in the service delivery of any organisation. You may select a service organisation to illustrate or substantiate your arguments in the essay.
Your essay need to address the following issues.
- Management’s perceptions of customer expectations
- Service quality as specified by the management / organisation
- Services as delivered to the customers
- Services as perceived by the customers and customer expectations of the service
- Gap between customer perceptions and their expectations and the reasons for the gap
- Recommendations you advocate to organisations for reducing the gap
The assignment needs to follow the standard essay format. Your essay should have an introduction, the body in which you link theory from the literature along with the practices of an organisation and critical analysis followed by recommendations and a summary conclusion.
This individual assignment requires you to use a minimum of SIX (6) sources of references including at least FOUR (4) academic journal articles. The required method of referencing is the Harvard UniSA Referencing system within context. Please do not use Wikipedia, or other non-academic websites as the basis for your research.
Adat,N, Noel, DT & Penceliah, S 2014, ‘Customer’s expectations and perceptions of service quality: The case of a retail pharmacy chain in South Africa’, Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 2648-2655.
Agabu Phiri, M & Mcwabe, T 2013, ‘Customer’s expectations and perceptions of service quality: The case of pick N pay supermarket stores in South Africa’, International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 96-104.
Almsalam, S 2014, ‘The effects of customer expectation and perceived service quality on customer satisfaction’, International Journal of Business and Management Invention, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 79-84.
Calabrese, A, Costa, R & Rosati, F 2016, ‘Gender differences in customer expectations and perceptions of corporate social responsibility’, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 135-149.
Pranav, S, Syed Roshane Farvin, M & Dharmalingam, M 2014, ‘Customer’s perception in Insurance virtual environment: A study on online services’, Pacific Business Review International, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 73-79.
Qadri, UA 2015, ‘Measuring service quality expectation and perception using SERVQUAL: A gap analysis’, Business and Economics Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1-6.
Format requirement for descriptive essay
Your paper needs to be presented in an essay format and will need to consist of introduction, discussion and conclusion sections.
Please conform to the following:
– Use Arial font size 12
– 1.5 Line spacing
– Leave minimum of 1.25 margins (on both sides) for the marker’s comments
– References to be listed on a separate page after conclusion
– Use Harvard UniSA Referencing style only
– Print word count at the end of the conclusion section
– Print your name and ID in header on each page
– Number each page consecutively
– Do not attach your feedback sheet with the report
Please note that world limit for essay is 1,500 words with 10% plus or minus. If you exceed the plus 10% maximum limit, your grader will draw a line and will stop reading at that point.
Marking criteria and standards for descriptive report
– Relevance of your answer to the question
– Originality and creative thought
– Up-to-date research with the topic
– Clarity of expression
– Supporting documentation for arguments
– Proper acknowledgement of sources and appropriate referencing using Harvard UniSA Referencing style (use of minimum of SIX (6) sources of references including FOUR (4) academic journal articles)
– Logical planning and sequence
– Use of inclusive language
– Overall presentation, including correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation
– Adequate research, reflecting engagement with set readings, text(s), journals and other relevant materials
Assignment 1 develops the following Graduate Qualities:
GQ1 – operates effectively with and upon a body of knowledge of sufficient depth to begin professional practice.
GQ3 – is an effective problem solver, capable of applying logical, critical, and creative thinking to a range of problems
GQ5 – is committed to ethical action and social responsibility as a professional and citizen
GQ6 – communicates effectively in professional practice and as a member of the community