analysis of a destination – Brazil
UNDERSTANDING TRAVEL AND TOURISM
Assignment 3 – Project: analysis of a destination – Brazil
(This assignment must make use of the article you summarised for
Components of the assignment
In writing your assignment you are required to provide a response to the
1. Provide a map of Brazil which includes the following information:
a. The Atlantic Ocean
b. The countries that border Brazil
c. The Amazon River
d. The capital city of Brazil
e. Rio de Janeiro
g. Sao Paolo
2. Explain how and why Brazil became an important destination for
travellers and tourists.
3. Why are the Iguacu (Iguazu) falls an important tourist attraction in
Brazil? What kinds of activities are available for tourists who visit the
Iguacu (Iguazu) falls?
4. Explain how tourists will experience Brazil’s cultural diversity when they
visit the following places:
5. Describe the Rio Carnaval (Carnival) and the role of the Samba Schools
in its development. How can tourists participate in the Carnival?
6. Describe how a well-informed tour guide would describe the variety of
architectural styles in Iticare.
7. Describe favela tourism. Why can it be referred to as the
commodification of poverty?
8. How has tourism helped to bring about cultural revival for the Pataxo
people of Bahia?
9. Using the Kayapo of the Amazon jungle as your example, how does
tourism enable tourists to know ‘the Other’?
10. What role does Copacabana Beach play in creating Brazil’s image?
11. What are the positive and negative effects of staging mega-events in
12. Describe the kinds of ecotourism attractions Brazil has developed and
assess the impacts of ecotourism on the local people.
13. Describe three kinds of gastronomic experiences (food and drink
experiences) available for tourists in Brazil.
14. Describe the kinds of transport tourists use to visit Brazil and to travel
within Brazil. This includes the kinds of transport experiences tourist
can have if they visit the following attractions:
a. The Igauca (Igauzu) falls
b. Sugarloaf Mountain
c. The Amazon
15. Describe the kinds of accommodation available to tourists in Brazil. In
addition to the usual kinds of tourist accommodation, you should also
include pousadas and jungle lodges in your description.
16. Design an original brochure showing some of the attractions referred to
in these assignment details.
17. Write a list of references showing the sources of information you have
used in the preparation of this assignment.
18. Write a list of references showing the images you have used in the
preparation of this assignment.