analyze Neil Postman’s concepts of tool-using cultures, technocracy, and technopoly through a 3-4 page written essay
Overview: In this assignment you analyze Neil Postman’s concepts of tool-using cultures, technocracy, and technopoly through a 3-4 page written essay.
Instructions: Answer the following questions associated with chapters 1-4 of Neil Postman’s Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology. Be sure to provide evidence from the text and cite your references in APA style.
1. What are the characteristics of tool-using cultures? Consider how in a tool-using culture tools:
Intrude on cultural beliefs.
Do or do no contradict a culture’s world view.
Loosen the authority of institutions (especially spiritual institutions).
2. What are the basic principles of Technocracy? How does Technocracy differ from a tool-using culture? What’s the thinking behind a Technocracy?
3. Why didn’t Technocracy destroy the thought-world of the tool-using culture? What happens when technological world views take over the traditional world views?
4. Why does Postman consider the Scopes’ “Monkey Trial” significant in technological history? Describe Frederick W. Taylor’s ideas and their significance to Technopoly…
5. Why did Technopoly find fertile ground on American soil?
Read the assignment instructions and rubric carefully before beginning.
Use full sentences and appropriate academic language in all work.
Follow standard APA guidelines (proper margins, double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman, and cover page your full name, course, and date.
Use APA citation format and include a reference/work cited page when necessary.
Your essay should be approximately 2-3 pages in length.
You are required to submit the photograph of the art piece you selected.