Critically evaluate the key issues that strategic analysis plays in a business or organisation that you are familiar with
Critically evaluate the key issues that strategic analysis plays in a business or organisation that you are familiar with.
In this assignment, you are required to write a report including 200 words of an executive summary, but excluding references and appendix. You should also perform the following tasks:
- Describe briefly the background information of the organisation (or SBU) assigned. This information should be brief and relevant to the discussion of your assignment and thus may include ownership, history, size, business scope, major products/services, and major markets of the organisation (or SBU) selected.
- Conduct external environment analysis including a marco-environment analysis and Porter’s 5 forces analysis: (1) Conduct a macro-environment analysis for the entire industry within which the organisation (or SBU) operates. You should use PESTEL model and focus on the understanding of the purpose of this analysis, the identification of key factors and their implications in terms of key opportunities and threats, and the discussion of their overall impact on the industry growth in the future. Draw your conclusion based on your macro-environment analysis.
(2) Undertake a competitive analysis using Porter’s 5 forces model. You are required to pay attention to the purpose of this analysis, the inter-connectedness of different aspects of the competitive forces, and their overall impact on the industry and the organisation selected in terms of main driving forces in the competitive environment. Draw your conclusions based on your five-force analysis.
- Conduct internal environment analysis. You should identify key resources and competencies of the organisation (or SBU) that are likely to provide sustainable competitive advantage.
- Summarise your findings based on your external and internal environment analysis. Identify the key issues that the organisation (or SBU) faces and give your recommendations.
- Draw your conclusion.