Effective Communication for a Workplace Leader
Report on Effective Communication for a Workplace Leader.
Assuming the role of a workplace leader and using this template, you will write a 1250-1500 words report addressing the eleven criteria set out below.
1. Discuss the importance of context for communication and the need to adjust approach and responses accordingly
A definition of context is useful here (remember also situation and perception and assumptions; then discuss of how you apply these in your communication with others
2. Discuss the importance of choosing communication appropriate to the audience and context; undertaking effective two-way communication from the perspective of a team leader
Build on your main points from criteria 1. Your focus here should be on the needs of target audience, the role of the leader the quality of the communication and the value of a productive relationship between all parties
3. Discuss the need to record actions required as a result of communication and follow-up in a timely manner.
In most cases there is a legal requirement to document significant occurrences in the workplace. Briefly address this, but also focus on the benefits of recording keeping and follow-up. This will help you with criteria 11.
4. List effective management communication characteristics (A feature that helps identify, tell apart, a distinguishing mark or trait)
You should know this; a short introductory statement followed by about 6-8 dot points.
5. Describe a range of electronic and non-electronic communication methods, including situations where they would – or would not be used.
A table is often useful for this as you can more readily make comparisons.
6. Describe the characteristics of effective listening techniques.
This relates to criteria 10.
7. Explain the feedback process and methods
Define feedback in terms of communication and then relate it to feedback on individual performance in the workplace
8. Identify team leadership communication responsibilities
Look at your response to criteria 2. And then consider communication in terms of the leadership role and its responsibilities
9. Explain barriers to communication in a workplace context
Define what is meant by ‘barriers to communication’ and then list between 6-8 barriers
10. Describe verbal and non-verbal communication characteristics
This is a NIKE; just do it!
11. Explain the impact of legislation and organisational policies on workplace communication.
Look at your response to criteria 3. Then name a couple of key pieces of legislation and their effects on workplace communication.
The following terms are commonly used in academic writing. Familiarise yourself with their meaning to help guide your written responses to assessment tasks.
1. Discuss; examine, analyse carefully, give reasons for and against, be complete, give details
2. Describe; characterise or relate in sequence or story form
3. Explain; clarify, interpret and spell out differences, try to analyse causes
4. Identify; Name or identity of what you are being asked to name and or discuss
5. List; write in an itemised series of concise statements
6. Outline; Similar to identify or list.
• Usually done with numbers or
• dot points