Environmental management and Risk assessment
Task to Complete:
Task to complete is in two parts. Part A focuses on ATSDR while Part B is on U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Both parts need to be adequately completed. You will conduct specific information searches for Kentucky and three other states. Please make sure you identify these states right at the beginning and consistently use them throughout the term paper.
Part A: ATSDR
This link will lead you to the home page of ATSDR. Familiarize yourself with the information provided. The ATSDR Public Health Assessment Guidance Manual is a good reference material.
- Using ATSDR links answer the following questions:
- List the hazardous
waste sites that have health assessments that are currently available for
public comment? In less than 200 words, describe your impression of sites.
- Find out how many documents are available for Kentucky in the Public Health Assessment and Consultation Health site. Identify this information for three other states that interest you.
- ATSDR models National Toxic Substances Incidents. From 2010 to 2014, how many are modeled for Kentucky? Identify this information for three other states that interest you. Briefly summarize the main issues for each state, if any.
- Toxicological Profiles are available for how many substances? Some profiles carry the name of the chemical, and others carry the name of the group in which the chemicals are found. The ones under the chemical name are the easy ones to find in the alphabetical list. Where do you find VX profile? Can you find a list of chemicals classified as Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)?
- In which ATSDR region is Kentucky and where is the home office of ATSDR in that region? Identify this information for three other states that interest you.
- What is the difference between ToxFAQs, Public Health Statement, and Toxicological Profile?
- There are six exposure registries for health studies housed at ATSDR. What are they?
- Under PHAGM preface, when must ATSDR conduct a public health assessment?
Part B: U.S. EPA
This page will lead you to the home page of U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Please note that U.S.-EPA constantly updates their websites. So bookmarking is not often useful. Find the Superfund homepage and the links to information regarding National Priority List sites and activities. Familiarize yourself with the information provided.
- Using the EPA and Superfund links, answer the following questions:
- Under which
office at U.S.-EPA do you find Superfund?
- Find the guidance documents for risk assessment. How many documents are resources to conduct the hazard identification phase of the risk assessment? How many documents are resources to conducting the risk characterization phase of the risk assessment?
- How many hazardous waste sites are currently in listed under “Final” NPL (National Priority List) sites in Kentucky? Identify this information for three other states that interest you.
- How many hazardous waste sites are currently listed under “Deleted” NPL sites in Kentucky? Identify this information for three other states that interest you.
- Identify the deleted NPL sites in Kentucky. For each site, indicate whether Remedial Investigations, Public Health Assessments, and/or Ecological Risk Assessments were performed (indicate the number and type of each assessment performed). Identify this information for three other states that interest you.
The final product for the term paper is a written Word document (with attachments, where appropriate) addressing the points in the Tasks to Complete, above (Parts A and B). Address each question in the order in which they are listed. Make sure you reference your work using APA format.