environmental management problem which in your opinion is currently being managed in a sub-optimal manner. As an individual, prepare a written report on the nature of this management problem from the view point of a National Government Agency
Identify an environmental management problem which in your opinion is currently being
managed in a sub-optimal manner. As an individual, prepare a written report on the nature of
this management problem from the view point of a National Government Agency (i.e.:
United States Treasury, ABARES, Productivity Commission, etc.) or an International
Organisation (i.e.: OECD, FAO, etc).
This report should include (1) a clear identification of the environmental management
problem and associated economics, (2) a proposition of a policy or a series of policy
interventions which are consistent with improved “optimal” management of the
environmental resource, and (3) a well articulated justification of why this proposition would
be beneficial for the stakeholders (consumers, producers, government, society, etc.).
You will be assessed on your ability to articulate each of these points with reference to
economic theory, models and/or empirical evidence relevant to environmental economics.
1) The briefing should be prepared in a concise manner; the word limit (including tables,
figures) is 1000 words. The reference list is not included in the word count. Word counts
substantially in excess of this limit (say, greater than 20%) will not be assessed.
2) Note that materials presented in lectures and tutorials should be helpful in your preparation
of this assignment.
3) You must include a reference list, presented in the style of an appropriate Journal.
Consistency in referencing style is key, the choice of journal style is not.
4) The assignment must be presented in a typed format. Formatting must be 12pt. New
Times Roman, with line spacing of 1.5pt. Hand written assignments will not be accepted.
Poorly formatted submissions will be penalised.
5) The Assignment must be submitted in electronic format through the Assignment Turnitin
drop box on the ECOS3013 Blackboard LMS. If you are unsure of where to locate this, you
should ask the Lecturer well in advance of the submission date.
6) Assessment criteria will be posted to indicate the allocation of marks