flооd еmеrgеnсy mаnаgеmеnt аt UK and Turkey
Background / Introduction
- What is the problem with flooding
- Why do floods need to be managed
- What different flood management strategies are used / different approaches
- Why do people measure flood management efficiency / how do they do it
What is the purpose of this paper – ‘to compare different benchmark used to measure the efficiency of different flood management strategies and to identify a series of benchmarks for which to measure and compare the efficiency of systems in UK and Turkey
Research aim and objectives
- What exactly is the point of your study? What is the big research question? / Key purpose of your study
- How will you go about investigating this? / What actions will you take
- How have you selected the different papers that you are reviewing
- What method have you used to compare these papers to eachother e.g. meta analysis / content analysis ( Look at research methods literature – how to compare documentation?)
- Where did you access the papers from
- What search terms did you use
- How many different evaluation systems did you identify
- What different countries did you look at?
- What questions did you use to review the papers – you should be looking at how their benchmarks were identified, what benchmarks have been used and how successful they have been
- Benchmarks to measure efficiency
- Qualitative or quantitative data needed
- Who carries out the assessments
- How was data collected
- Who reviews the evidence
- What situations was this framework to be used in
- What country was it developed for
- Have any of these benchmarks been evaluated after they have been used / has the system been successful?
- Which benchmarks do they recommend and why?
- Which benchmarks do they criticise and why?
- Which other systems do they praise
- Which other systems do they critise
- Did they adapt any other systems in order to build their own
- Etc etc etc
- I want to see tables that show the comparison for each of these questions independently
- I want to see a final framework which exhibits all your data and clearly shows similarities and differences between the different systems
- What limitations with your review were there i.e. the process you went through in this research
- E.g. What information couldn’t you find in the papers / which questions couldn’t you answer?
- E.g. How different were each of the papers / the context they were used in
- Report on you key research questions using your literature review.
- Use each of the questions that you used to review your literature.
- Use table to exhibit differences between each of the systems – either use numbers / colours, ticks to show how each different system compares to each other.
- Identify the similarities and differences
- Identify strengths and weaknesses
- Identify which benchmarks are good and why? Which benchmarks you will use in your assessment for the UK and Turkey
- Identify which benchmarks are bad and why? Which benchmarks won’t you use / reject for your comparison?
- What data should be collected to evaluate each of these benchmarks i.e. what information do you need to know in order to make a judgement.
- Use the comparison framework to direct your reader to the correct evidence.
Discussion – this is where your opinion is voiced / your critical analysis of the data
- What does the framework show? Work through each individual question.
- What combination of benchmarks does the framework suggest should be used and why?
- Which benchmarks have been rejected and why?
- Provide diagrams is possible to illustrate the points you are making.
- Benchmarks that you have selected as the best way to measure flood management efficiency in Turkey and the UK and and why?
- Your key arguments for using these – how do you defend your decisions?
- What next – how do you plan to use these benchmarks in the UK and Turkey
- What data do you hope to collect?