Has the recent change in Prime Minister from Mr Abbott to Mr Turnbull changed the nature of the relationship between the federal government and major businesses in Australia?
Essay : Formative Academic Essay
Students are required to write a formative academic essay of 800 words, answering one of the following essay questions, in academic essay format, drawing on the ideas and concepts taught in this unit:
- Has the recent change in Prime Minister from Mr Abbott to Mr Turnbull changed the nature of the relationship between the federal government and major businesses in Australia? If so, how? If not, what has remained the same?
- Can the Commonwealth take over responsibility for funding public transport in Australia? Why or why not?
- Is the ACT Government’s Capital Metro light rail system proposal more about improving public transport
increasing land tax revenue through increased property values along the route? Discuss.
- Using one of the four main political ideologies taught in this unit, critique government’s role in funding higher education in Australia. Given the increased focus on graduate employability, discuss the efficacy of state funding of skills training that will ultimately benefit businesses.
- Increasingly, free trade agreements include clauses that allow foreign investors to sue governments when a law or policy harms their investment. What are the ramifications of such clauses for the power of national governments in making policy?
Required: Students are to use at least 5 different sources (references) to provide at least 5 different in-text references in their essay. At least one reference is to be a journal article. Students are to write the essay in full prose, using appropriate paragraphs (approximately 100-150 words each paragraph), and a variety of high quality, academic sources (references) in order of quality from highest to lowest as follows: