High performer Underperformer
In this part of the assignment each student is asked to image they are a senior member of the human resource management function in your case study organization and each of you have been asked to individually investigate best practice in human resource management in the areas of managing high performers or under performers with a particular focus on performance management, human resource development and reward management.
The situation you have been asked to report on relates to the person that the organization hired to fill the key vacancy your group reported on in the first part of this assignment. Your organization hired a 31 year old and one month after they were appointed, their manager seeks your advice regarding what to do about them. Please choose one of the two following situations:
- ‘Underperformer’. The new employee does not have the necessary competencies and/or attributes to perform at the required level. The manager is seeking your advice regarding what they need to do to help them improve their performance; or
- ‘High performer’. The new employee is clearly bored, not feeling challenged and indicating they might start looking for another job. The manager believes the employee could make an important contribution to the organization so is seeking your advice about how to engage them and retain them.
In your report you will need to deal with the following as a minimum:
- What are the features of best practice in performance management?
- How the human resource development (HRD) function should integrate with the performance management function?
- What the specific issues surrounding the management of ‘underperformers’ or the management of ‘high performers’ are that need to be taken into account in an effective performance management system and HRD function in the case study organization?
- How the case study organization’s reward management strategy might fit into the solution you offer and why?
- How in theory should the case study organization’s human resource management practices (HRD, performance and reward management) support the firm’s corporate strategies?
Your report will need to make use of relevant research literature to support your determination of the best practice in performance management, HRD and reward management.
As a guide the assignment should be no more than 2000 words with any attachments not counting towards the word limit. See the assessment rubric for this part of the assignment.
It must involve the use of a minimum of twelve ‘peer reviewed’ journal articles