HRM SKILLS PORTFOLIO
The Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI) is the national association representing human resource and people management professionals. AHRI have over 20,000 members throughout the world and provide education and training services in HR and people management and business skills. AHRI also organises world-class conferences which bring HR practitioners together and holds seminars and networking opportunities all over Australia. AHRI also sets standards through accreditation of HR qualifications at universities across Australia, conducts research into people management practices, and assists governments in the development of policy and legislation that affects people at work.
AHRI have released a ‘Model of Excellence’, which explains the capabilities and behaviours of an ‘excellent HR manager’. This model provides a conceptual basis for the accreditation of HR practitioners and training offered by AHRI and universities. The model identifies 7 capabilities that are essential for HR practitioners (see https://www.ahri.com.au/about-us/model-of-excellence). These capabilities are being:
- Business driven;
- A strategic architect;
- An expert practitioner;
- An ethical and credible activist;
- A workforce and workplace designer;
- A cultural and change leader; and
- A stakeholder mentor and coach.
In this assignment, you are to select three (3) of these capabilities and address the following (in your own words, with referencing as required):
- What does this capability entail?
- Why it would be important for a Human Resource Manager to have this capability?
- Assume you are applying for a graduate HR position, and demonstrating this capability is one of the key selection criteria. What evidence could you provide to demonstrate you possess this capability?