International Law and Organisation
POL3ILO: International Law and Organisation
Take home exam
The examination is worth 25% of the final mark for this unit.
Students are to answer ONE of the following questions in essay format. The essay should be
approximately 1200 words and should be referenced appropriately. It should include a
bibliography. The exam should be typed with at least 1.5 point spacing using 11 or 12 point
font and standard margins. Single spaced essays WILL NOT BE MARKED and will accrue
late penalties until the correct format is submitted.
As this is an examination there will be no extensions. Any exams submitted after the due date
will receive 0% for this piece of work. If circumstances befall a student during the
examination that prevent timely completion, students should contact the unit coordinator with
written evidence of the problem and an alternative time to complete the examination will be
1. What are the main sources of international law, and has their relative importance
changed since the end of the Second World War?
2. What accounts for the proliferation of international organisations in the 20th Century?
Discuss with reference to both inter-governmental organisations and non-government
3. What role do international organisations play in the development and enforcement of
4. To what extent do non-state actors influence the development and enforcement of
international law, and how effectively do they do so?
5. To what extent can international law be effective in the absence of a centralised
6. To what extent has state sovereignty been constrained by the development of
international law and the proliferation of international organisations since the end of
the Second World War?