Choose one of the following Australian leaders:
- David Morrison, Australian of the Year 2016 and Chair of the Diversity CouncilAustralia
- Scott Farquhar, Co-founder of Atlassian softwarecompany
- Ann Sherry, Executive Chairman of Carnival Australia, the largest cruise ship operator in Australia
- Noel Pearson, founder of the Cape York Institute for Policy and Leadership
- Bec Scott, Co-founder, Streat (socialenterprise)
- Julian Burnside, Barrister and refugee advocate
- Alan Joyce, CEO Qantas
- Gillon McLachlan, Australian Football League (AFL) CEO
- Marina Go, Chair, non-executive director, CEO, mediaexecutive
- Or a current Australian leader of your choice (if you choose this option you must speak to your workshop facilitator to gain approval for your choice. The leader has to be a figure whose leadership approach has been discussed in writing in a publicly available form).
- Briefly describe this leader’s background – including details such as their current role and organisation, work history, educational background, family background ifrelevant, industry involvement.
- Describe their approach to leadership, drawing on at least one leadership theory from the academic literature. Provide evidence to support your assessment of their leadership approach. That is, describe two specific examples of actions they have taken that demonstrate this particular leadership approach you havedescribed.
- What are two key challenges they have faced as a leader? How have they managed this challenge? What could they do differently to be even more effective?
- What have you learned about leadership from studying this particular leader?
- The essay needs to have a clear and coherent structure, be clearly expressed, with few errors. In your essay refer to at least 10 references, 8 of which need to be academic references (a web reference is not an academic reference). These could be references about the leadership theory, references about important leadership capabilities that this person has had to demonstrate (such as creating a strong organisational culture, creating a motivating environment, influencing others or managing change).