Meaningful and lasting change in the world, at personal, cultural and structural levels, will only occur through the combined efforts of the oppressed and those willing to forego and challenge their privileges
ATSGC 3848: Insights into Practice
Details of assessment task: task is a 2500 word Essay, requiring 12 academic/peer reviewed, current references (less than 10 years old).
Aims: to integrate knowledge and skills gained through collaborative discussion, critical analysis and research to develop a socially just practice approach at individual, community, organisational and individual levels.
“Meaningful and lasting change in the world, at personal, cultural and structural levels, will only occur through the combined efforts of the oppressed and those willing to forego and challenge their privileges” (Pease 2010:187).
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) peoples experience profound and devastating oppression across personal, cultural and structural levels of Australian society. The goal of this assignment is to develop your own practice approach to challenge privilege contributing to the ongoing oppression of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Our professional commitment is to work towards a more socially just society. Your practice approach must therefore include your interpersonal, work or counselling relationships; your community development or community engagement work; your agency or organisational work and/or broader social justice activities.
Your assignment must address the following three elements in relation to your future practice approach with ATSI peoples.
- Develop a set of practice principles for undoing privilege that bring together key theoretical elements of privilege and intersectionality, with your personal and professional context.
- Develop a set of practice strategies that will guide your approach to practice with ATSI peoples and their concerns.
- Describe how you will use these principles and strategies to begin ‘undoing privilege’ in your interpersonal, community, organisational and societal levels of practice with ATSI peoples and their concerns.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Your ‘use of self’ is one of the most important practice ‘tools’ you have, along with your ability to integrate theory into your approach to practice. *You are expected to write in first person as this assignment asks you
Style and Presentation 0-2 marks /10 marks
- Links between topic and content
- Links between ideas, flow of argument
- Clear and meaningful sentence construction
- Proof read for spelling and grammar.
- Required length
Approach and Argument 0-10 marks /80 marks
- Understanding of oppression of ATSI peoples.
- Understanding of ways privilege reinforces ATSI peoples’ oppression.
- Understanding of ATSI peoples’ approaches to challenge privilege
- Your practice principles & strategies to achieve change at personal level
- Your practice principles & strategies to achieve change at cultural level
- Your practice principles & strategies to achieve change at structural level
- Independent thinking, insight and analysis
- Linked Abstract, introduction & conclusion
Use of Evidence 0-5 marks /10 marks
- Sources provided; correct citation & reference list
- Use of wider reading