Morrisons, Card Factory or Ocado strategic management case study
With a three million-strong workforce, and year-on-year growth, the retail sector is a significant contributor to the UK economy. Between 2016 and 2020, the retail sector workforce is projected to grow by 54,800.
In some parts of the world, the retail business is dominated by smaller family-run or regionally-targeted stores, but this market is increasingly being taken over by billion-dollar multinational conglomerates like Wal-Mart and Sears. And yet, as the leading retailing players are increasingly seeking for opportunities to expand their global presence and are investing heavily in driving internet retailing sales, numerous local British retail companies have been successfully competing with their global competitors in the UK Market such as Morrisons, Ocado and Card Factory.
Learning outcomes assessed:
- Critically examine the relationship and the need for compatibility between corporate strategic and functional management policies.
- Analyse the internal and external influences on corporate objectives and strategy.
- Demonstrate the need for flexibility in strategic management and the practical limits of quantifying corporate strategy.
You have been hired by a local British retail company (Either Morrisons, Card Factory or Ocado) as a consultant in order to develop a market entry and business level strategy plan into the Chinese market. You are expected to write a report to summarize your research findings on the given tasks below.
- Analyse and demonstrate an understanding of the external environment and industry competition in the Chinese market. (25 marks)
- Identify the company’s resources and competencies; and determine the potential of the company’s competencies in terms of a competitive advantage in the Chinese market. (15 marks)
- Critically evaluate if the company can continue with the current vision and mission statements in the new market. Reframe the vision statement and the mission statement of the company for the new strategic business unit in China If needed. (20 marks)
- In the light of the analysis done in Task 1, 2 and 3, construct a SWOT analysis of the company and recommend a business-level international strategy for and market entry mode into the new market. (25 marks)
- As a part of the assessment, all students should answer the Employability Skills Self-Assessment Survey in Week 1 and 10. (5 marks)
- Referencing (Harvard) (10 marks)