Name the 3 levels of managers in an organization. Provide 2 examples of each type
1. Name the 3 levels of managers in an organization. Provide 2 examples of each type
of managers and explain briefly what they do in those positions.
2. There are 4 major functions that managers have to perform. What are they? Explain
what managers have to do in each of these functions. Provide 2 examples of the
activities that they have to do in each of the functions.
3. There are three essential skills that all managers must develop. Describe them and
explain why it is important for managers to have these skills. Provide two examples
for each of these skills.
4. What are the main forces in the general environment that can affect business?
Describe each one and provide 2 examples of each type of forces to explain how
these forces can affect a business such as Woolworth’s or McDonald’s?
5. Name two specific environment forces and explain it is important to monitor these
The Decision Making Process
6. What are the steps in the decision making process? Explain what a manager has to
do in each step of the process when deciding on what computers to buy for his
1. Select an Australian company in Brisbane that you would like to be a manager
2. Briefly describe the company and the main products/service that it markets.
©Intech Institute of Technology – 1 | P a g e
3. Describe its target customers – what kinds of people buy products/services
from this company? (Age group, gender, individual or household income, social
class, education level, lifestyle, etc.)
4. Since the Reserve Bank of Australia has increased the interest rate to 7%
yesterday, identify and describe three major problems that this company might
face. Explain clearly and provide sound arguments on why you feel these are
critical problems that you as the manager will have to solve.
5. Select one problem which you feel is the most serious and explore 9 or 10
possible solutions for solving this problem.(Use Dr Edward de Bono’s PMI
6. State 4 criteria(standards) that must be included in solving this problem. Then,
give weightage to each criteria/standard (1 to 4) and each solution (1 to 10)
based on their importance.
7. Evaluate the solutions and decide on the one which you feel is the best for the
company. Provide reasons on why you have chosen this particular solution.
8. You are the manager of a company that has made a good profit of $100,000 in
the past year. You have a workforce of 20 staff who have been working hard for
you. What would you do to motivate your staff so that they will continue to
work hard for you and help you increase the profits to $150,000 next? Give 10
suggestions and explain how these suggestions will motivate your staff.
9. Think of 10 ways by which a manager can motivate his staff, without the use of
10. Explain the needs (Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs) that each of these
motivational methods will meet