Recall scandal (Toyota)
Case study about ((TOYOTA GLOBAL))
Identify an organisation facing a crisis or involved in a public controversy (e.g., an accident, a product safety/health hazard, a scandal, an environmental disaster, or a major structural re-organisation, such as privatisation or demutualisation) and investigate how the organisation reacted to it by means of information releases (e.g., press releases, annual report, corporate social responsibility report, etc.). Use a variety of accounting theories to explain the organisation’s response to the event.
(e.g., Legitimacy theory, Stakeholder theory and Institutional theory………. etc.).
Structure of assignment
Please follow the structure provided below. Bold numbered items provide the headings and sub-headings for your essay. Bulleted items provide a short description of the type of content expected in each section and sub-section.
• Discussion of concepts and theories used to analyse the case [20 marks]
2. The case
• Background information about the case [10 marks]
• Description of corporate disclosure vehicles chosen for analysis (i.e., press releases, annual reports, CSR reports, etc.) [10 marks]
• Discussion of the categories of analysis used to analyse the corporate texts (e.g., text length, themes, impression management strategies, etc.) [15 marks]
• Summary of findings of your analysis [35 marks]
• Discussion of findings in context of theory and prior literature [10 marks]
The word limit is 1,500 words maximum. The case study should include a list of references containing all the materials you have consulted and cited. References in the references section should be mentioned in the text and vice versa.
Name of organisation/company TOYOTA GLOBAL
What type of crisis is it? Recall scandal (caused by an accident)
Date of crisis August 28th, 2009
What types of documents are you going to analyse? (e.g., annual report, press releases, CEO speech) How many are there? Type of document Number
1. Annual report 2009 and 2010
2. CEO speech
3. Press release (from September, 2009 to May, 2010)
4. Social media (video of Toyota President talked to customers)