Recruitment Selection and Workforce Planning
|Q1. Staff turnover is a factor that impacts on all organisations.
a) List 3 negative impacts that high staff turnover could have on your business
b) List any positive impacts on a business that could arise from a moderate turnover of staff?
|Q2. The term “demographics” is often used to better understand the nature of your workforce. Describe the term “Demographics” and list 3 demographic features of your staff
|Q3. Staffing requirements may vary at different times according to the business demands of the organisation. List 3 examples of where an organisation could require an increased workforce. Consider both temporary and permanent factors.|
|Q4. List 3 factors that may affect the workforce supply.|
|Q5. Workforce diversity or even diversity in the composition of work teams, can have a positive effect on achieving organisational objectives.
Comment on this statement and give some examples to support your comments.
|Q6. What would you be looking for when establishing the workforce plan for your organisation?|
a) Describe what the term “Succession Planning” means in terms of workforce planning?
b) Describe some of the features of a well-developed succession planning strategy.
|Q8. Develop a list of the relevant stakeholders who should be involved in developing and endorsing workforce objectives and explain why they need to be involved.|
This project is designed to take the underpinning knowledge you have gained throughout this unit and apply it to industry.
Read the following scenario outline:
Workforce planning within your organisation is a major issue. The Managing Director has tasked you to undertake a project to explore the current situation so that a plan can be put in place.
You and the Managing Director recently had a detailed meeting so that you would understand exactly what he wanted you to do. Please review your notes from the meeting below:
|Meeting – Workforce planning project
I need to create a report covering both internal and external factors. He wants as a minimum the report to cover…….
An analysis of our internal labour:
· Turnover – what is it year to date? How does that compare to last year?
· Staff mix – how many casuals/part time/full time do we have?
· Skill sets – what skills and knowledge we currently have on payroll?
· What do we need to meet the strategic objectives over the next 12 months? How many staff? With what skills?
· How are we doing on labourspend against plan?
· Are we an employer of choice? If yes what do we do that we should continue? If not what can we do?
· Are we paying any overtime?
· Is our workforce diverse enough?
· What do exit interviews tell us about why staff leave?
· Do we have a succession plan in place for all positions?
· Is anyone leaving or retiring soon that we know of?
· What contingency plans do we have in place to deal with staff shortages?
Analysis of external labour market:
· What trends in the external labour market affect us?
· Is their labour with required skills available?
· Where can we source labour from?
· Is there training going on that will increase pool of labour?
As you can see within your notes the conversation didn’t follow any clear path. Your task now is to create a report for the managing director that answers all of the above questions in a structured manner