The rural-urban health differential will not be solved simply by improving access to health services
1. ‘The rural-urban health differential will not be solved simply by improving access to health services.’ Discuss this statement with reference to recent Australian data and at least one sociological concept or theory.
The essay should include:
1. An overview of credible epidemiological data relating to the issue and relevant population groups, and
2. In depth discussion of sociology and how specific theories and concepts can be applied and used to better understand the patterns and experiences of the issue.
The following points provide the scope for what you need to cover:
• Brief history of the health issue (eg, is it a recent phenomenon, how has the issue changed or become more prominent in recent times?).
• Global, Australian and local epidemiological data from credible sources on the issue and relevant population groups (eg, how do figures vary country by country, state by state, between LGAs, and in comparison between population groups).
• Describe relevant sociological theories or concepts in depth, and apply these ideas to the health issue to demonstrate how we can better understand this in a sociological context. Discuss how they help to explain and understand the health issue or differential.
• Use academic sources to support your arguments throughout the essay.
• See the ‘tips for essay preparation’ for more detailed information about how to approach the essay.