We all need to critically reflect upon the ways in which we receive unearned advantages in our lives because of the consequences of those advantages for the reproduction of oppression
Details of assessment task: task is a 2500 word Essay, requiring 12 academic/peer reviewed, current references (less than 10 years old). PLEASE REVIEW THE MARKING GUIDE FOR ALL ELEMENTS THAT NEED TO BE INCLUDED.
• to demonstrate the centrality of personal and cultural values and beliefs to an understanding of privilege and oppression.
• to demonstrate skills in critical analysis and research methods in a specific theoretical and practice context.
Details of assessment task:
“We all need to critically reflect upon the ways in which we receive unearned advantages in our lives because of the consequences of those advantages for the reproduction of oppression” (Pease 2010:16).
The above quote provides the theoretical context for your assignment. You must address the following 3 elements in your assignment.
1. Critically discuss the theoretical concepts of privilege and oppression to show your understanding of the ways the privileges of dominant groups contribute to maintaining the oppression of subordinate groups in society. Remember to explore the complexity of privilege and oppression.
2. Discuss the unearned advantages you** have received during your life and the ways you continue to benefit from these advantages. Link to the literature.
3. Identify the privileges you gain as a tertiary educated, professional welfare worker, and explain how these privileges can contribute to the ongoing oppression of others. Link to the literature on privilege and oppression.
* You are required to use a minimum of 10 academic references for this assignment. This range is to ensure you use your reference materials effectively, rather than to simply meet the number required. As third level students it is important to focus on the quality, rather than quantity, of references/sources. Effective use of reference materials will give greater depth to your discussion.
** This assignment requires you to demonstrate critical self-reflection. You are expected to write using first person voice ie ‘I’, ‘my’, as this assignment asks you to examine how your standpoints or positions in society provide you with advantages not available to others.
My privilege includes being white, educated, middle class. I am a home owner and have been able to purchase several investment properties (that pay for themselves, these days), at a time when house price were reasonable. My parents owed their own business, in a small village/country town, that whilst this impacted family togetherness, it afforded opportunities such as private schooling and resources. I am confident, believe that I am master of my destiny and that I am able to have an impact on my environment etc to the improve lifestyle.
Style and Presentation – 2 mark each (10)
1. Links between topic and content
2. Links between ideas, flow of argument
3. Clear and meaningful sentence construction
4. Proof read for spelling and grammar.
5. Required length
Approach and Argument – 10 marks each (80)
1. Understanding of concepts of privilege & oppression and their links
2. Understanding of intersectional theory
3. Complexity of relationship between privilege & oppression.
4. Critical reflection on your personal unearned advantages
5. Understanding of ways your privileges can contribute to ongoing oppression
6. Exploration of educational & professional privileges
7. Independent thinking, insight and analysis
8. Linked Abstract, introduction, and conclusion
Use of Evidence – 5 marks each (10)
1. Sources acknowledged citations correct, Reference list complete.
2. Effective use of literature to give depth of discussion.