What are the features of best practice in performance management?
In this part of the assignment each student is asked to image they are a senior member of the human resource management function in your case study organization and each of you have been asked to individually investigate best practice in human resource management in the areas of managing high performers or under performers with a particular focus on performance management, human resource development and reward management.
The situation you have been asked to report on relates to the person that the organization hired to fill the key vacancy your group reported on in the first part of this assignment. Your organization hired a 31 year old and one month after they were appointed, their manager seeks your advice regarding what to do about them. Please choose one of the two following situations:
- ‘Underperformer’. The new employee does not have the necessary competencies and/or attributes to perform at the required level. The manager is seeking your advice regarding what they need to do to help them improve their performance; or
- ‘High performer’. The new employee is clearly bored, not feeling challenged and indicating they might start looking for another job. The manager believes the employee could make an important contribution to the organization so is seeking your advice about how to engage them and retain them.
In your report you will need to deal with the following as a minimum:
- What are the features of best practice in performance management?
- How the human resource development (HRD) function should integrate with the performance management function?
- What the specific issues surrounding the management of ‘underperformers’ or the management of ‘high performers’ are that need to be taken into account in an effective performance management system and HRD function in the case study organization?
- How the case study organization’s reward management strategy might fit into the solution you offer and why?
- How in theory should the case study organization’s human resource management practices (HRD, performance and reward management) support the firm’s corporate strategies?
Your report will need to make use of relevant research literature to support your determination of the best practice in performance management, HRD and reward management.
As a guide the assignment should be no more than 2000 words with any attachments not counting towards the word limit. See the assessment rubric for this part of the assignment.
It must involve the use of a minimum of twelve ‘peer reviewed’ journal articles (students are required to ensure all journals used are shown in ‘Ulricksweb data base’ to be ‘peer reviewed’ otherwise they should not be included) and more than two scholarly texts including the Unit text.
Assessment criteria: See marking sheet below for assessment and feedback.
Use the following checklist before handing in your essay.
A maximum of 2000 words (an allowance of 10% is given) not counting attachments.
|3. Cover Sheet:
No cover sheet is required. However the report should identify the student’s identification number and name.
Full title of the assignment should also be included at the front of the assignment.
|5. Journal Articles:
The report must use a minimum of twelve peer-reviewed journal articles* and more than two scholarly books that includes the Unit text book. All sources are to be referenced appropriately in the essay and listed alphabetically in the Reference List at the end of the essay using the Harvard referencing system.
|6. Page Numbers:
Pages numbers placed at the bottom of each page, without brackets or full stops.
|7. Presentation & Format:
Essay type-written or word processed in 12-point font, double spaced and on one side of the page only.