With reference to appropriate literature and cases, critically evaluate the influence of classical and human relations approaches in management today
“With reference to appropriate literature and cases, critically evaluate the influence of classical and human relations approaches in management today.”
The following points should be noted for this part of the assessment:
• This is an individual assessment, not a group task.
• Literature should be sourced from a range of journal articles and textbooks. A limited range of readings will be made available.
• The submission should use cases and examples from a variety of organisations to illustrate how classical and human relations approaches impact on management and practice today. This information should be referenced to reports, websites and other relevant documents to allow tutors to access it.
• The word count is 3000 words +/- 10%. This does not include the reference list but does include any appendices. Do not include lengthy appendices.
• Referencing will be the Harvard system
Content and Structure
This assessment is based on the application of the history of management theory to contemporary organisations and builds on the tutorial activities undertaken in the first half of the module.
Students will decide on the appropriate structure and content but we would expect to see the following elements:
• Introduction: setting the context, addressing the question, the approach to answering the question
• Main body of the assignment
o Review of relevant classical and human relations theories, identifying key themes or factors. There is no expectation to review all theories comprehensively within the scope of a 3,000-word assignment. However, we expect you to demonstrate an understanding of some of the principal theoretical contributions, supported by literature and wider reading.
o Cases or examples: you should identify recent or contemporary examples of the influence of classical and human relations approaches in organisations – using the themes or factors discussed in your review of literature.
Identify relevant practices, policies and approaches of organisations; these should be suitably evidenced. For example, classical and human relations approaches to management have different conceptions of motivation, incentives and rewards, ways of organising work and tasks etc. How are these reflected in company policies?
To help guide your search, you may want to think of industry sectors and then select companies, for example, the automotive industry – Volkswagen; Information Technology – Google.
• Conclusion: bring together your main points; address the main question, i.e. evaluate the influence of classical and human relations approaches in management today.