With reference to relevant academic literature, discuss whether open innovation is ‘A Fad or a Phenomenon?’
Assessment Question, Guidance and Marking Criteria
Assessment 1: Open Innovation
Module Assessment Weighting: 50 per cent
With reference to relevant academic literature, discuss whether open innovation is ‘A Fad or a Phenomenon?’ (Chesbrough and Brunswicker, 2014).
Chesbrough, H., & Brunswicker, S. (2014). A fad or a phenomenon?: The adoption of open innovation practices in large firms. Research-Technology Management, 57(2), 16-25.
Themes and issues to address in the assignment
- The motivations of companies to engage in open innovation.
- The adoption of open innovation in large companies and SMEs.
- The benefits of open innovation; the link between open innovation and performance.
- Challenges to the development of open innovation as a management approach/paradigm and as an area of research.
- Use examples and cases to support your work where appropriate.
- Include a critical reflection section to identify critical lessons from the assignment