Workforce planning within your organisation is a major issue. The Managing Director has tasked you to undertake a project to explore the current situation so that a plan can be put in place.
You and the Managing Director recently had a detailed meeting so that you would understand exactly what he wanted you to do. Please review your notes from the meeting below:
|Meeting – Workforce planning project
I need to create a report covering both internal and external factors. He wants as a minimum the report to cover…….
An analysis of our internal labour:
· Turnover – what is it year to date? How does that compare to last year?
· Staff mix – how many casuals/part time/full time do we have?
· Skill sets – what skills and knowledge we currently have on payroll?
· What do we need to meet the strategic objectives over the next 12 months? How many staff? With what skills?
· How are we doing on labourspend against plan?
· Are we an employer of choice? If yes what do we do that we should continue? If not what can we do?
· Are we paying any overtime?
· Is our workforce diverse enough?
· What do exit interviews tell us about why staff leave?
· Do we have a succession plan in place for all positions?
· Is anyone leaving or retiring soon that we know of?
· What contingency plans do we have in place to deal with staff shortages?
Analysis of external labour market:
· What trends in the external labour market affect us?
· Is their labour with required skills available?
· Where can we source labour from?
· Is there training going on that will increase pool of labour?
As you can see within your notes the conversation didn’t follow any clear path. Your task now is to create a report for the managing director that answers all of the above questions in a structured manner